About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

The 1885 Reviews of Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn


The San Francisco Chronicle reviewed Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn on March 15, 1885:
What can be said of a man of Mr. Clemens’s wit, ability and position deliberately imposing upon an unoffending public a piece of careless hackwork in which a few good things are dropped amid a mass of rubbish, and concerning which he finds it necessary to give notice that ‘persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot’?
Read more: Literary Hub

No comments: