About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Jane Austen Quote On New Tenner Spoken By Someone With No Interest In Books


The new Jane Austen banknote has been unveiled on the 200th anniversary of the author’s death. Austen becomes the first female writer (following in the footsteps of William Shakespeare and Charles Dickens) to feature on a banknote.
Some images and this quote appear on the note: “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading!” It appears that someone has not read Pride and Prejudice, the source of the words spoken by Caroline Bingley to Mr Darcy as he reads a book. Indeed she has no interest in books and is simply grasping at the opportunity to sidle up next to him.

No comments: